Set Academic Goals and Review them Everyday
Academic dreams may not come true, but academic goals do! Set academic goals every night before you go to bed by writing them down in a list and posting them in a place where you can see them every morning. These goals are analogous to an academic ‘to-do’ list, but it is important to make your list as specific and detailed as possible. For instance, instead of wilting down “Finish the biology homework due Thursday,” try to break it down by witting step-by-step instructions on your list. As an example, you could write:
- Read Biology Chapter 7, pager 556-568
- Review class notes taken during class for the lecture related to this homework.
- Read the homework assignment, do Problems 1-5
- Take a short break.
Here is another example of how to write specific step-by-step academic goals. What would you write instead of “Study for 5 hours tomorrow after school’ ? An example for breaking this down in your to-do list could be:
- Get home from school at 3pm, eat a light snack
- Take out Chemistry textbook: Read Chapter 4, pages 45-58 until 4pm.
- Review notes taken in Chemistry class from the past two weeks.
- Re-read last two Chemistry homework assignments which will be tested on this exam.
- Try to re-do problems from these two homeworks for practice until 6pm.
- Take a short break
- Read “Othello” for English class, pages 78-96 until 7pm
- Go back and take notes on the characters in “Othello” for tomorrow’s pop quiz.
- Finish at 8pm, eat dinner with family.
By breaking down your original goal to ‘finish the biology homework due Thursday,’ you have now just created a feasible step-by-step flowchart of how to complete your assignment. Writing down a list of your academic goals each right has several advantages. First, the list will require you to link about the exact sequence of actions you will need to do in order to accomplish your goal. Second, listing them out each night will allow you to reflect on what needs to be completed in the days to cane. Third, writing a detailed step-by-step list of how to accomplish a goal will help you to mentally prepare yourself for completing that goal later on. Finally, having a specific list in your hand the next day will allow you to view your goal as something readily achievable. Seeing the words “Finish biology homework by Thursday” may seem We a daunting task and a chore to finish, but seeing the list above can help you realize that each anal step is absolutely feasible.